For training of Cardiovascular Perfusionists in Minimal invasive Extracorporeal Technologies (MiECT),
it is very important that there be a consolidated training and certification process to guarantee the required multifaceted competence. Due to lacking common criteria for perfusionists’ accreditation and certification in Europe, MiECTiS, a Scientific Society comprising of Cardiac Surgeons, Cardiac Anaesthesiologists and Cardiovascular Perfusionists undertook the initiative to ensure appropriate training in MiECT. This has an important impact on patients’ safety and the quality of medical care provided by cardiac surgery teams.
All training programs should comply with the following rules:
– training on a type II, III or IV MiECC circuit, as defined Anastasiadis et al.
– training in multidisciplinary teams consisting of cardiac surgeons, cardiac anesthesiologists and clinical perfusionists
– teachning MiECT as a strategy referring to the techniques of all disciplines
– theoretical training with lecture and seminars conferred by experts on the field
– practical staged training in selected cases of coronary surgery first progressing towards aortic and mitral valve surgery
– practice on simulators and dry labs in order to promote continuous education and stimulate research in the field